Enter your keyword

United Kingdom – Work Visa & PR

What is a General Work Visa – Tier 2?

It is a pathway that lets UK employers to employ nationals from outside the UK to fill particular jobs which cannot be filled by settled workers.

In different terms, it is a route for the people outside the UK to get a job in the UK under-skilled job levels.

lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, if you’ll be working with vulnerable people.

Eligibility Criteria

You must have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an organisation that is an Approved T2 Sponsor (hyperlink) in the UK.

The sponsor must meet the requirements for the category you are applying under and accept certain responsibilities to help with immigration control.

You must score a minimum of 70 points.

(I)  50 points for Attributes, which includes having a sponsor & a valid Certificate of Sponsorship.

(II) 10 points for English language skills. You score 10 points if you are meeting any of the below criteria.

– National of a majority English speaking country i.e. Approved


– Degree taught in English.

– Passed an English language test. List of Approved English Test

– Met requirement in a previous grant of leave.

– Transitional arrangements.

(III) 10 points for Maintenance (funds). An amount of £ 945 for 90 days.

You’re being paid an appropriate salary for your job usually need to be paid at least £30,000 per year or the ‘appropriate rate’ for the job you’re offered – whichever is higher.

Appropriate Rate https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-j-codes-of-practice-for-skilled-work

Show you can travel and your travel history over the last 5 years.

Have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country.

Provide a criminal record certificate from any country you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, if you’ll be working with vulnerable people.

Documentation – General work visa (Tier 2)

Your certificate of sponsorship reference number

Proof of your knowledge of English

A bank or building society statement or letter that shows you have enough personal savings (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your sponsor can support you)

A current passport or travel document to prove you can travel – you need a blank page in your passport for your visa

Expired passports or travel documents if you need them to show your travel history

Your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country

A criminal record certificate – if you’re working with vulnerable people.

If your documents are not in English or Welsh you’ll also need to provide a certified translation.

Extend Your Visa – Tier 2 General

Visa extensions – General

You may be able to apply to extend your stay in the UK under a Tier 2 (General) visa.

You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend. This includes children who have turned 18 during your stay. They’ll also need to submit a separate application.

Visa extensions for health workers

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), some health workers and their families will get a 1-year visa extension for free. To get the extension, you must:

Work for the NHS or an independent healthcare provider in an eligible profession

Have any visa that expires between 31 March and 1 October 2020


Must have current permission to enter or stay on Tier 2 (General) visa.Must have the same job as when you were issued your previous permission to enter or stay in the UK. He or She is still working for the employer who assigned your certificate of sponsorship He or She is still earning an ‘appropriate salary’.

How long you can stay

You can apply to extend your visa for up to another 5 years, as long as your total stay is not more than 6 years.

Changing a Job – Tier 2 Work Visa

You may need to make a new Tier 2 (General) visa application if:

  • You want to change your job and your new job is with a different employer
  • Your job changes to a different standard occupation classification (SOC) code, and you’re not in a graduate training programme
  • You leave a job that’s on the shortage occupation list for a job that is not on the list
  • You do not need to apply again if you stay in the same job, but your job is taken off the shortage occupation list.
  • You will not need to make a new application if you’ll be staying with your current employer but your job will change in other ways, for example you want to change to a job in the same SOC code, or your pay will increase.
  • You must have a new certificate of sponsorship and you must meet all other application conditions, but you will not need to provide evidence to support your application if you’ve provided it for a previous Tier 2 application.

Switching Visa to Tier 2

You can apply from inside the UK if you have, or were last granted, visa in one of the categories listed below.

  • Any Tier 1 main applicant
  • Any Tier 2 main applicant
  • Tier 4 student
  • Dependent partner of a Tier 4 student
  • Representative of an Overseas Business
  • Start-up
  • Innovator

Switching from a Tier 4 or Student category into Tier 2 (General)

You can switch from Tier 4 category into Tier 2 if you meet the following criteria.

  • You have or had a visa sponsored from a Tier 4 sponsor which is either a higher education provider or an overseas higher education institution for short-term study abroad programme in the UK.
  • You have completed, or are applying no more than 3 months before the expected completion date for, a course giving you a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
  • You have completed, or are applying no more than 3 months before the expected completion date for, a course giving you a Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education.
  • You have completed a minimum of 12 months’ study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave.

Documentation for Switching Visa

You must provide a degree certificate, academic transcript or an academic reference on official headed paper of the institution which must clearly show.

  • Your name
  • Course title, award.
  • Duration of the course (except in the case of a degree certificate)

or the date you completed the course, having sat all exams and

presented all academic papers, or the date you are expected to

complete the course, which must be the expected date when all

exams will have been taken and all academic papers submitted.

Confirmation of 12 months study if you are studying a PhD course.